What Food Items are Staples at Your House?
Ok, so this isn’t really a frequently asked question. In fact, I’m not sure that anyone has ever asked me this. But, just for fun, I thought I’d make a list of the foods that are absolute necessities at our house. These are the things we use every week and really miss when we run out. I’ve noticed this list change over the years, so I thought it would be fun to track from time to time. While this list may not be exhaustive, here are some things that we currently have to have in our kitchen:
- Salsa. For snacks, for recipes, for everything.
- Peanut butter filled pretzels from Costco. It’s our go-to snack.
- Oranges. For juicing, for smoothies, for eating.
- An assortment of frozen fruit for smoothie making.
- Tomatoes. This is really only on mine and Jack’s lists, but we have to have them!
- Carnation Instant Breakfast. A quick snack for mommy when I feel like grazing, am too busy to eat a real meal, or need a quick chocolate fix. Also for chocolate milk for the kiddos and occasionally for milk shakes.
- Breakfast cereal of the extra unhealthy kid-friendly variety. They eat it around the clock!
- Louisiana Hot Sauce. For everything!
- Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning. For almost everything I cook.
- Bananas. Josh and I hate them, but thekids will eat a whole bunch of them in one sitting.
- Milk. We’re currently going through about a gallon a day. Most of it is served “white” too!
- Coffee and flavored creamer! Josh and I have a cup every morning. Andy usually gets a small cup too.
- Frozen pizza. I’m not proud of it, but it’s my go-to easy meal for the kids for lunch and dinner. Hey, at least it’s better than fast food!
- Decaf Iced Tea. We couldn’t live without the house wine of the South! But we also couldn’t live with our kiddos hyped up on all that caffeine!
- String cheese. Another snack-time favorite.
- Wine! Oh wait, that’s just on my list.
- Apples. For our blender applesauce.
- Cinnamon. I can’t tell you what all we use it for, but we’re always having to buy more.
- Rotel. I usually try to avoid canned things, but I use Rotel all the time!
- Olive oil. A cooking staple. I’m pretty sure I use it every time I make dinner.
So there you have it – the first edition of Swafford Family Food Favorites. :)